Monday, January 9, 2017

Herb Gardens

I don't have an herb garden. And I'm not sure -yet- if I should have one. Right now I have 4 old, small tires, 3 that I regularly plant sage, mint, and cilantro in and 1 that gets whatever strikes my fancy. This year that one had garlic in it. I also have lemon balm growing in my landscaping. In the past I've grown basil but honestly didn't use it enough to justify taking up the space. That's it for my herb experience.

Last spring I bought chamomile and horehound seeds, hoping to increase my exposure to herb gardening . I started the horehound inside but it never took off enough to transplant. I never even opened the chamomile. It wasn't because I didn't want to, I just ran out of time. So maybe herb gardening isn't for me. But I really want it to be! I have grand visions of drying my own herbal teas, mixing up seasoning blends, and maybe even some home remedies. I just have to overcome my time and space limitations. And I need to do some research on the kinds of herbs that would benefit us, get the most use, and would do well in our growing conditions.

Here in the middle of a cold spell is the perfect time to do that. I'll start by asking y'all: What herbs do you use the most? Plant every year? Find easiest to grow?

3 comments:

  1. We are going to start a 'proper' herb garden this year, and am looking forward to the adventure. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's always something new to learn or do!

      Delete
  2. I grow may, but I use them for medicinal reasons too. I too, started small, and just added each year as I liked. I grow green onions, thyme, basil, oregano, chives, cilantro, parsley, lemon balm, rosemary, tarragon, comfrey, calendula, spearmint, peppermint, I pick wild growing stinging nettle, plantain, dandelion, and a few others. Last year I planted new ones in pots, but raccoons dug the pots out over and over (grrr!). New herbs were horehound, yarrow, and more that I can't remember right now. I have to buy all new seeds and hope and pray the raccoons stay out of them this coming spring. I cut and snip the green onions and chives and freeze them for winter use. They both grow back, so no replanting each spring. Rosemary, for us, has to be replanted or brought in during winter. I typically can't keep it alive inside, so I just buy new plants most years. I love rosemary roasted potatoes. I also use my herbs to make my own dry Italian mix, and other dry mixes.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.