Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Winter Reading

I finally got all the gifts wrapped yesterday!! It's my most dreaded holiday chore, hunting up the wrapping supplies, clearing a space that's big enough, cutting the paper 1/2 inch too short, scraps of paper floating around, and running out of tape with one gift left. ERG! But now- it. is done.

This morning we are getting some sleet/freezing rain so I am waiting a little longer-til the light shows up the paths well- to get started on my outdoor chores. While I'm waiting, I hunted up my favorite book to read at Christmastime. Today is going to be the perfect day to get started on some reading!
I've read this one so many times I could practically rewrite it. As you can see, the cover is well worn. I picked it up second hand several years ago and loved it so much I hung onto it. The copyright is dated 1936 and the price printed on this edition is a whopping $0.75. The plot is a very typical, almost cookie cutter Grace Livingston Hill story line (which is not a bad thing if you like Christian romance fiction) but the main reason I LOVE this book is the setting and back story. I don't want to give too much away but city boy meets farming/homesteading family and learns about their lifestyle. I'm enamored with the simpleness of their life and the way they enjoyed it. There are obstacles to overcome and some judgments from other folks. Don't be fooled by the size of this book. The print is tiny and takes me some time to read. But I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good Christian fiction book set at Christmastime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.