Friday, October 7, 2016

Squash Patch?

I'm trying not to be jealous of Fiona over at Confessions of a Crazed Cattlewoman. I really am, I promise. But her picture of all those lovely pumpkins makes me almost want to cry.

Every single one of our squash plants were a bust this year. They took off like gang busters and had so many pretty blooms. Before long the plants had taken over more than their allotted space! We had squashes everywhere! I had visions of zucchini, acorn squash, pie pumpkin, and luffa overload! But out of all that bounty, I managed to save 2 zucchini. Two! This is not acceptable at all in a state where folks hide zucchinis in their neighbor's mailboxes and send them home with their kid's playmates. The chickens were quite happy with all the rotten, buggy squashes that got tossed their way. I was just disappointed. When the little devils first appeared, I was surprised. I'd never had them before. I read that I was supposed to pick them off and destroy them so that's what I started doing. Evidently I lack in the bug squishing talent department because in a very short time those few bugs became about a zillion! We had a major infestation!

So I'm working on my squash bug defenses for next year. I know now that they will overwinter in the mulch in the garden plot so we are going to burn the whole space off. We will start the plants inside earlier next year and set them out when they are bigger and more mature. And I will put them in a patch with more room, to make it easier to get between the leaves and find the little buggers.

I will prevail! *(shouted in warrior voice, fist in air!)*

Does anyone have any tips for how to defeat squash bugs? *(whispered meekly)*

2 comments:

  1. I never knew that there was such a thing as a 'squash bug'! Will keep an eye out for it though, and will do fist in the air and 'We shall prevail' alongside you, because that is what you do when you are battling to get a harvest when other creatures are killing off the harvest meanwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good question! My squash didn't do so well either this year, but it had a lot to do with our heat and lack of rainfall. I never thought to burn all the mulch however and that may be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.