Thursday, October 13, 2016

Cold and Flu Season Preps

The air pressure changed yesterday so I've got a mild case of sinusitis and a screaming headache today. Fortunately I don't suffer from seasonal allergies but I have enough trouble with the changing weather patterns to make me miserable. With the changing of the seasons I've started preparing for cold and flu weather. 

The first batch of Fire Cider is done. I've strained it into a jar and added honey to complete it. We like to start taking a tablespoon daily about this time of year. 

This week I've been taking chickens out of the freezer and making chicken broth for winter cooking and to sip if we get sick



Our bees arrived too late to get any honey from them this year so I stocked up on raw local honey at the farmer's market last week. I looked for onions while I was there but there weren't any good ones to be found - I'll get some next trip to the supermarket. I like to chop them up and keep them in the freezer. They're good to have on hand to heat up in the broth when a cold hits. I'll also be stocking up on lemons for the freezer. I checked our tea supply and it's good for now. I also have plenty of ginger, garlic, and eucalyptus essential oil (for steam.)

So what's in your arsenal for immunity and symptom treatment?

6 comments:

  1. Mullein. I made a few jars of tinctures and have plenty for teas. I have dried elderberry flowers, and elderberries as well. I just used the last of last year's broth, so I have bones I need to pull from my freezer and starting making some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to see if I could find mullein and elderberries local. Bone broth is great!

      Delete
  2. Chicken foot stock. We found out about this when I researched uses for chicken feet when we butchered all the roosters last March. It is full of good things and turned out to be the best stock I made. I infuse ginger root into a lot more cooking in the fall. We eat more soups and stews. We also eat a lot of fall greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to use chicken feet to make stock! Unfortunately we forgot save them the last time we sent chickens to freezer camp. I don't think I'll make that mistake again!

      Delete
  3. No prepping here, we just take it as it comes, although I have started developing an interest in the local herbs which grow on our farm, and some of these help with winter coughs and colds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our primary defense against cold and flu is elderberry tincture. I have used it most of my life and make my own now. Three years ago we planted four varieties of elderberry and have been harvesting it since. I make not only tincture, but jelly and liqueur from the elderberries. Elderberry has been proven to boost immune systems. We also make and use Stinging Nettle tincture, Mullein tincture and a variety of other herbs and mixtures for various ailments. Good strong bone broth and of course the old classic but highly effective chicken soup are indispensable. Hoosier Girl, I would be glad to give you rooted cuttings from our elderberries next year if you would like to have them, they send shoots up all the time that I just run over with the mower. Bora.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.