Saturday, September 10, 2016

Save the Food!

Right after I got all stocked up with food and a meal plan for the week, I got a canker sore. OUCH! If you've never had one, thank your luck stars because they hurt like the dickens. I am one of those people who gets 4 or 5 of them a year. I try to avoid acidic foods and don't use commercial toothpaste but a little bit of extra stress will pop one up no matter how careful I am. I'm also dealing with some trapped fluid in my ear- on the same side of my face as the canker sore. Swallowing is a nightmare and chewing is done very cautiously!

I've been trying to keep myself busy so I have less time to think about the pain. The sores usually heal up in 7-10 days so all the food I have that won't keep that long has to be preserved. That's one of the ways I'm keeping busy! Instead of the honey glazed rabbit I had planned for 2 meals, I boiled it up and made rabbit stew with drop dumplings. I froze the excess broth and shredded meat for another day. I also stuck the ground sausage crumbles that were supposed to be in my breakfast tacos this week in the freezer. The apples that are nearing the end of their shelf life are sliced up in the dehydrator along with the grapes that I picked up on sale.

I think that scrambling to find ways to preserve this batch of food has been good practice for all types of scenarios where food preservation is necessary...power outage, broken fridge, grocery store strike, etc... So, I might be miserable physically but I'm feeling pretty proud of my ability to sustain my food stores. I know it would have been better to have pressure canned the meat but I don't have a pressure canner. What I DO have is an awareness of how it could have been done- that's progress!


2 comments:

  1. I do hope you heal quickly and aren't in pain for too long, nice work on the food preserving! I've been looking at smokers recently, I bet a bit of smoked rabbit jerky would be awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually on my list of stuff to try! DH has been collecting the pieces to build a smoker (his winter project.)

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.