Monday, August 22, 2016

Sick and Tired. Again.

I religiously took my daily dose of Fire Cider all winter and into the spring. And I didn't get sick one time. When I ran out, I didn't make anymore. I just put that on my list of stuff to do next fall- before cold season arrives. Because I NEVER get sick in the summer, right? Well.... This year has been a killer with the high humidity and dampness. Now I'm down with another respiratory attack. I don't know if it's a virus or bacterial. All I know is my ears hurt, my throat hurts, my head hurts, my chest hurts, and I'm hacking up stuff in psychedelic technicolor. Again. This must be my 3rd or 4th summer cold. Enough already! So that to-do item of making my cider is going to be moved up to the as-soon-as-possible list. 

Meanwhile, I've got to treat the symptoms of this illness. I have been taking over the counter measures. But I live in one of those states where the only good decongestant can only be purchased by showing your driver's license, giving a signature, and having your amount of purchase tracked, all that after standing in long lines to find out the shelves are empty. 

So, I've hunted up my ginger, cayenne powder, garlic, sage, raw honey, and onions. All of those are supposed to have some property or other in treating sickness. Next I'll be digging up recipes on how to put those ingredients to use. Anyone have a tried and true remedy to share?

4 comments:

  1. I've have excellent luck with using essential oils on my feet, throat glands and under my nose. I use 8 drops of organic eucalyptus oil (about $8.00) and 2 tbl. a neutral "carrier oil". I massage in onto the pads of my feet and between my toes. Massage a little onto my throat glands and a little under my nose. Works great and my small bottle I mixed up lasts a long time. Do about 3 times a day. I use sweet almond oil as a base. Very gentle too for kids. Hope you feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have any on hand but you reminded me of an old remedy my mom taught me- vapor rub on the feet. I'll be trying that today.

      Delete
  2. good old honey and lemon to sooth the throat, gargling with salt water is all I have been doing, I read something interesting about over the counter couch mixtures on our National Health Site (Avoid cough medicines, as there's little evidence they work, and coughing actually helps you clear the infection more quickly by getting rid of the phlegm from your lungs.) I have had the same virus and the hacking cough was the worse but after a few days of letting it work through its now greatly improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up on OTC cough meds when my kids were little- just a waste of time and money! I'm glad you're improved, there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.