Monday, July 18, 2016

Summer Skin Tip

It's not the heat, it's the humidity! We have central air conditioning in our home (thank God!) but most of the work to be done is outside. This week our temperatures are supposed to sky rocket AND the humidity will still be high. UGH! I stepped out the door at 7:30 this morning and broke a sweat before I reached the goat pen- which isn't very far, remember I live on one acre. I believe the only way to cope with the heat this week will be to do everything outside in short bursts.

Right now there is a thunder storm approaching, the sun is hiding and there is a wonderful breeze. I can hear the thunder in the distance, the dog has retreated to her safe haven behind the living room couch, and soon I will have to unplug the electronic devices. But once the storm is over, the heat will return with a vengeance. The humidity will rise even more. Sweat will not be able to evaporate. Some skin will get prickly heat rash or chafe from rubbing. Bacteria will build up in the sweat and noses will wrinkle at the resulting smell. Yikes!

Through some trial and error, I've come up with a skin routine that prevents *most* (it's not an antiperspirant, sweating is still going to occur) of the misery from these conditions.  My secret weapon is coconut oil and baby powder. It doesn't sound like much, does it? That's because I like to keep things simple and as natural as possible. I don't want to spend a fortune on specialty products and -let's face it- using powder alone at some point is going to leave a yucky mess.

This simple formula works because of the way I use it. First, I apply a very light film of the oil on all the areas where chafing and sweating occur. Then I dab on just enough of the powder to absorb the oil. This makes a protective layer and the combination of the two holds up well to sweat. The important thing is to not use too much of either ingredient. I perfected the right amounts for myself by testing on my inner arm- where goofs would not affect my clothes. The coconut oil doesn't absorb into the skin for quite a while, keeping the powder from "rolling up" or "getting pasty" in the sweat.  It really has been a great help in this ridiculous heat! On the really bad days, I may have to reapply after a few hours but most of the time once is enough.

I buy the coconut oil in big tubs and separate it into different containers for different uses- kitchen, bath, etc... The baby powder was purchased a few years ago (I don't remember why.) It's the corn starch kind and once it is empty, I'll switch to just plain old corn starch. If you have these things on hand, why don't you give it a try? You may be pleasantly surprised at how much better your skin feels when the heat is on.


2 comments:

  1. I have not tried this yet but thanks for the tip. Didn't seem like it got this hot for so long when I was younger! We lived in Michigan then so don't know if that made a difference! Be safe. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully things get back to normal soon!

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.