Wednesday, July 6, 2016

It's a Small World

Have you visited DOING IT FOR OURSELVES IN WALES, yet? Dawn is one busy lady! I don't know how she finds time to do everything she blogs about. It's very interesting to see what homesteaders are up to in other places! Here's a look at how far away her country is from my hometown: Indiana to Wales(Google map) 

Not too long ago, she shared about her alpacas getting sheared and all the lovely fleece. I left (another) comment of envy and mentioned that I had a dream of learning how to spin. I figured this would always be just a silly wish since I don't know anyone who has woolly critters or spins for themselves.

Shortly after I left that comment, I received an email from another Hoosier. Since I am "Hoosier Girl" on the blog, the writer assumed I lived in Indiana- AS DOES SHE- and she'd be happy to teach me to spin! WOW! It turned out that she lived about 40 minutes drive away, not just in the same state. NO!- IN THE SAME COUNTY!

So yesterday I had my very first spinning lesson. I was nervous at first but my teacher was wonderful and very patient. It was such a great experience! Y'all,  I. MADE. YARN.
Thanks to a blogger in another country, one more dream has become a reality. It really is a small world! Stop by Loom Hall on Facebook to see all the neat things my spinning teacher does, too!

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful, it is a small world there will be no stopping you now, I love reading about other homesteaders all round the world, I pick up so much useful information, happy to hear that the Alpacas worked there magic for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I need some Alpaca magic, I'll know who to call! :)

      Delete
  2. You are a natural at spinning! It was so great to meet another Hoosier by way of Wales, how amazing is that? Wouldn't it be great if you and I and Dawn could sit down together and spin up some lovely alpaca?
    We can dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day once Martin is here full time I would love to fly across the pond and do a tour of all the homesteads I read about who knows perhaps one day, I have looked into sending some fleece over but in its raw state its prohibited I will look into it more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't we have a nice visit? It's so fun to learn about our differences and yet we're all doing the same thing.

      Delete
  4. How neat that you could learn to do this skill. Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.