Monday, June 6, 2016

Kittens

Last July I picked up 2 female barn kittens to keep as mousers. They were the cutest things and I named them Laverne and Shirley. Now they are grown up and do a great job. But 1 of them isn't all she was advertised to be. So now instead of calling HER Laverne, we now call HIM just plain Verne. (Know what I mean Verne?)

Two days ago Shirley presented us with 3 newborn kittens. And then she promptly settled them into the stinky, dirty, buck shed. So I gently scooped them all up and moved the entire family to a nice clean dog house with plenty of straw to lay on. Yesterday morning I found them all back in the buck shed. So, once again, I transferred them to the safe dog house and placed a nice can of food inside to entice Mama to stay. But this morning, guess where they all were. So Shirley wins. I hope she knows what she is doing and will take good care of them.

I'm reminded, again, that sometimes it's better to let Mother Nature have her way and to let the cat trust her own natural instincts and to butt out. Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. By all that's holy, please move those kittens! Shirley is a first time mother, she is clueless. LOCK her in the doghouse with food, water, the kittens and a litterbox. They are far too small and helpless to survive in a heap on the dirt.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I snapped a picture to show how I found the kittens and now I see I should have taken one to show how I left them. Rest assured they (goats and kittens) now have clean straw along with fresh water and food. I'm keeping a close eye on everybody!

      Delete
  2. YA I would put the kittens into a box they cannot get out of as well. Even the most seasoned momma cat will thank you for it before too long. Those little kittens need a bit more time before escape is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's next on the list. First we have to establish where she's going to let me put it. The goats ignore the kittens but a box would be too tempting to play with. Hmmm

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.