Friday, June 10, 2016

Chicken Math and Journal Update

If there was an award for the most blog posts about the cost of raising chickens, I bet I'd get nominated. Seriously. But remember at the beginning of the year when I said I was going to get more serious about keeping a records journal? Well, I've been sticking to it and today while I had my knee propped up with the ice pack (brrrr) I distracted myself by doing a little chicken math.

First I added up the cost of all the feed we've bought from Jan.1st to May 31st. Then I counted all the days in that time period. I did some fancy division and discovered that our cost per day for chicken feed was $1.50. Then I averaged up all the eggs we've gotten from our 3 laying hens. Two! We average two eggs a day. That means those eggs are costing us 75 cents each!

Now, does this upset me? NO!!! Because I also know that in that time frame, I've fed 10 chicks-free after store rebate- that are almost to laying age (except for the 3 roosters in the bunch which will get a ticket to freezer camp) and 5 Silkies.  I'm hoping to sell Silkie eggs and chicks now that they are beginning to lay regularly.

That handy dandy journal has been so helpful! All in one place I have breeding dates, planting dates, amount of daily harvest, what I've bartered, what I've sold, what I need for next year, AND what I need to give up. Whew! What a great thing!









6 comments:

  1. Its great that you keep records, so many people keep chickens and they say they get eggs for free, we keep records on all the livestock :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to get eggs for free! Alas, we have to buy feed. Luckily the bill will go down now that they are able to forage.

      Delete
  2. I get about 6 dozen eggs per week from my 20 hens....I sell 4 dozen for $20 and eat the rest. Their feed runs about $20 per week, so I guess I do get MY eggs for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I hope to do that well when mine all reach laying age.

      Delete
  3. I have to buy organic feed for mine, but the have a large run this summer. Before they would free range, but got into my garden too many times. I do let them go all over after the garden comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We knew getting our chicks in the fall would be more feed costs but it paid off in mature hens to go broody in good weather and cool weather to butcher the roosters in. Now the grass is good the feed costs have plummeted and after math it works out to about 3.50 per dozen. Pastured chicken eggs....non gmo organic....and the entertainment is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.