Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Took a Huge Hit

It's taken me some time to accept and write about it, but here goes:

A couple weeks ago we had a storm come through, nothing out of the norm for this time of the year. Our power was off for about 12 hours, again, nothing new. But this time there must have been a surge and a component on our deep freeze was fried. Our freezer is in the basement and since I haven't been able to do stairs well, I didn't even realize it wasn't working until almost a week after the fact.

Much as I'd like to be able to describe the smell, there are no words. Just none. A week after emptying it and multiple bleach episodes, we are still trying to get rid of it. But the loss of all the homegrown stuff turns my stomach so much more.  Several rabbits, chickens, turkeys, and goat cuts gone. Just gone. I can't even begin to guesstimate how much all that meat was worth in dollars, let alone all the time, sweat, and tears we put into it. I still can't find a way to relay that feeling of loss we experienced while holding our noses and pulling bag after bag after bag of rotting meat out and tossing it into the trash. (And thank goodness for whoever invented contractor bags- what a helpful thing!!!)

Today we are looking toward the future optimistically. We picked up the replacement part for the freezer and this week we will work on moving it to a location where I can keep a better eye on it. We have 7 rabbits in a grow out pen, a hen setting on 7 eggs, and a goat who has almost reached butchering size. The garden fence is finished and the chickens are able to free range again. I've learned how to handle grocery store meat sticker shock. This trial has been a lesson and now we begin again. Again.
Freedom!

2016 Garden and fence!

The grass is always greener....

5 comments:

  1. Oh Hoosier Girl, I'm so sorry! I can't imagine loosing all the home grown meat and produce! How awful! Hoping you have a bounteous year to help you recover some of the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is terrible I can imagine how you must feel, not a nice job to do, I wish you a bumper year of crops so you can again get the freezer full. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear that! My fear is that the electricity will be off too long! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I am so sorry. We have lost many appliances due to lightning, and still have not gotten a rod for the house. I am so sorry. If I lived next door, I'd share some meat birds with you. I hope everything gets better from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my....the loss of a deep freeze is horrendous, especially when you don't catch it in time. I have had it happen and understand how hard it is to talk about. It still makes me grimace. We have turned to canning and drying more for more secure food.In Virginia we had at least 4 major power outages a year [3 to 10 days]. Hang in there and our prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.