Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Three's Company

My calendar says the latest batch of buns are 6 weeks old today. Time sure does fly with rabbits! Their cage is sure crowded right now, also. There are 7 in the litter so it will take me around 3 days to get them all transferred to the grow out cages. I like to move 2 or 3 at a time to give them all (and their momma) a chance to adjust. I try to pick out the biggest ones first in case she is still nursing even though it is very unlikely. I'm fortunate to have a very good momma doe. I've never had to worry about nesting, milk supply, eaten babies, etc.. with her.

I reserved one of her daughters out of the last batch she raised and she is just now old enough to breed. She will get her first date this week and then I'll be keeping a watchful eye on her to see how she does with pregnancy. 

Since we will have two breeder does I've decided it's time to give them names in order to make record keeping easier. The old experienced doe will be called Janet and the younger one is going to be named Chrissy. The buck has got to have a name, too. So we're calling him Mr. Roper. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.