Friday, May 20, 2016

Bees on the Homestead

The day finally arrived! We have bees! Our first shipment of bees was destroyed in transit. Poor DH was crushed! It was so late in the season that we despaired getting any at all this year but a company in Maine had some. The wait seemed really long but they arrived to our local post office this morning. DH jumped out of bed and headed straight to town when we got the call! I am so excited to see his excitement. Bees aren't my cup of tea but I'll gladly take the honey rewards.

Yesterday DH got a call about a swarm and he spent the evening trying to capture them but he wasn't able to find the queen. He's looking again today and if he is successful, we he will have two hives. Except for taking some pictures, the bee endeavor is all in his court. Join me in wishing him much success with his new venture!




8 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all works out. Bees are on my do-to list too, but likely not for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had to put it off for a while as well.

      Delete
  2. Gratz on the new bees!!! Better watch out or soon he will have hives everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the more honey for me I guess. 😃

      Delete
  3. That's great. I don't think we'll ever do that on this piece of land (too many sprayed crops around us). I'll be anxious to see how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about the spray, too. But we have lots of farmers who put hives in their fields also. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. I will enjoy following your bees and your interaction with them....we so hope next year but we are thrilled with the variety of pollinators here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love getting our local honey and thankful he keeps bees. But I would have no interest in trying it. Too afraid I guess. Good luck to your husband. Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.