Friday, April 15, 2016

Who's That Up on the Roof?


That's my DH up on top of the chicken coop putting on some kind of roof sealer stuff! Yay for DH's and roofs that don't leak!

I've been busy scooping and hauling the winter's wasted hay out of the goat pen to the garden. So far I've taken 6 utility wagon loads and I figure there are at least twice that many more. If anyone has a suggestion on how to cut down on wasted hay, I would LOVE to hear it. This stuff is wet and heavy and it's full of old urine and berries (stinky!) It's killing my back to scoop it but the pen is way too small to put a tractor in- even if we had one. I hate to even think about how much $ in hay is in each load. I probably won't get it finished today but I've got enough get-up-and-go to get a couple more loads done!

We're hoping to get a little r&r after these chores are done... hope y'all have a great weekend, too!

4 comments:

  1. I have used small mesh hay nets, I am not sure if it would work for goats. As to the muck, I would run poor quality hay under the lawn mower and then stock pile it for bedding smaller livestock. I used to bag it in old feed bags. It is finer and way easier to clean up. It also goes into the garden faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only way I have found to stop some waste is with a hanging manger. I blade up the wasted hay and burn it every so often or put it in the manure spreader but it is a constant pain job that requires too much back work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use pelletized timothy for part of my goat feed. Sure cuts down on wasted hay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only put out in the hay rack what they can eat in a day, I use straw for bedding I tried a deep litter system but hated it, the smell was awful and it did my back in cleaning it out, I now clear them out each week sometimes its composted and sometimes its onto the bonfire.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.