Thursday, April 28, 2016

Name That Weed

I'm not going to bore you with pictures of weeds-yet. But I have been playing detective in the back yard this spring. I love, love, LOVE being able to forage rabbit food. I know that most of our yard is rabbit friendly because I flush out wild rabbits all the time. They are never in the same place, they're everywhere, and I've had plenty of opportunities to watch them munching on my green stuff. But I still need to make sure that whatever I forage is rabbit safe.

Last year my rabbits got a varied diet of dandelion, wild violets, white and red clover, lamb's quarters, and broad leaf plantain. Of course I supplemented with commercial pellets and hay but I saved a lot of money by finding most of their food in the back yard.

This year I've been able to add hen's bit and mulberry to the mix. And there are a lot more weeds  plants that I haven't identified yet. So I've downloaded an app to help with that and I've taken to trying to find weeds on the internet. Who says being a homesteader is boring? You wouldn't believe the things that can pop up on your screen when you google a word like "weed!"

3 comments:

  1. I have nominated you for a Libester blog award pop over to my blog for details :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I have a journal that has a sample of things growing here, and identification. I'm still finding new stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.