Monday, November 2, 2015

What's In a Name?

I accidentally named a chicken. Oops. You wouldn't think that was such a big deal, would you? Unless you knew what giving a critter a name means at our little homestead. Our critters are divided into 2 groups: Named and Unnamed. Named critters are pets. Unnamed critters are meat and will someday get a trip to freezer camp. 

This particular chicken got into the habit of jumping out of the run every morning and meeting me on my walk down to open the gate for the other chickens. She'd saunter up the walkway like she owned the place and I would say to her, "what are you doing out here, missy?" And one day, in my mind, missy with a lowercase m became Missy with a capital M. Then I began telling others about Missy with a capital M jumping the fence, how we would have a conversation on the way to the coop, how she could shake a tail feather when she was in the mood. I named her. Oops.

So last week when we set up the butchering outfit and selected the older birds and rabbits to send to camp, Missy got a reprieve. I've never had a pet chicken before. 

Look for (non-graphic) pictures of our butchering set-up on the next post. 


6 comments:

  1. We are the same, named are keepers, unnamed are eaters, I guess Missy always knew and work her charms on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ERG! I fell for it: hook, line, and sinker!

      Delete
  2. We have a pullet that follows me around and just seems to act like a pet chicken. She doesn't have a name yet. We don't usually name a chicken unless it has some thing that earns it a name such as color, size or a strange behavior. It really doesn't matter as they don't understand the whole name thing except this one little hen seems to come when called. I may have to give it a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do it! It's a trap! A trap of my own making in this case...

      Delete
  3. I only name my roosters! Chico, Sebring, and Slick are the current roos here at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having grown up on a small farm we kinda got past that young. Cattle, chickens, pigs, sheep: Most got named and most ended up the our freezer or in one owned by someone we knew. The first few were hard. After that they were all one more critter on the way to Freezer Camp.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.