Thursday, August 6, 2015

Fast Food

Hitting up restaurants because all the home cooking options are in the deep freeze and will require long hours of thawing and then cooking-- sound familiar? It's an easy trap. So I'm working on preparing quick-thaw options for those busy days when it would be easy to hit a drive-thru.

I spent all day yesterday boiling and de-boning a rooster. Then I had several small packages of pre-cooked chicken and broth for quick to fix soups, stews, pot pies, etc... Then I moved on to some ground goat meat. Generally I would fry it crumbled with some onion and spices and then re-freeze it, for soups, chili, or casseroles. But this time I wanted something a little different so I made up a batch of meatballs to have for pasta dishes. I remember the first time I was faced with frozen goat meat. I was a little intimidated. We had worked so hard to grow and butcher it...what if I messed it up? Yikes!

I've had a little more practice preparing goat dishes now. But for anyone just starting out and looking for advice, I'll leave the recipe for ground goat meatballs at the end of this post.

Right now I'm getting ready for a fun day at the mall with my niece. We're doing an end of summer outing before school starts in a few days. Malls aren't my favorite source of entertainment but it will be worth it to get in some girly time. Of course we will have to hit every ice cream/cookie/pretzel stand and stop at a fast food place for a "real" meal. LOL



GROUND GOAT MEATBALLS
Ingredients
1 pound ground goat
1 egg
1/4 cup dehydrated onion (or VERY finely diced raw onion)
1/2 to 3/4 cup quick oats
several good shakes Worcestershire Sauce

Preheat oven to 350*. Combine all ingredients really well (mix with clean hands for best results.) Shape mixture into balls. We prefer small ones so I make 25-30 (goat meat is leaner than hamburger and won't shrink as much.) Place on a foil lined cookie sheet lightly sprayed with oil.


Bake at 350* on middle rack of oven for 30-40 minutes or until center of meatball reaches 160*. My meat thermometer bit the dust last week so for this batch I cut the largest one open to make sure it had cooked through.




1 comment:

  1. I will have to make a note of the recipe thank you as we hope to have goats soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.