Friday, June 12, 2015

Summertime Blues

Up there ^ it says " -the good, the bad, and the hilarious." Well this post is "the bad." Homesteading is not always a bed of roses. In fact sometimes it isn't a bed of anything but weeds.

 No garden this year. I think I actually put 2 tomato plants and a couple handfuls of really old seeds out. So far, out of those seeds, I have some cucumbers blooming and one head of Romaine lettuce (which might have already bolted.) Oh well....you can't really tell there's nothing there due to the weeds. sigh

One of the goat sheds has its winter pack. Still. It's the one that is built around a dog pen and the only way to shovel it out is by bending in half at the waist. It's going to hurt to do it but every day I put if off is going to make it worse. I have to get it done before the heat gets unbearable, even if my back keeps telling me to wait a little longer. 

I have two lousy bales of hay in storage. Two. That's less than two weeks worth of feed for the goats. So fingers, toes, and eyes are crossed that DH makes it home before the hay runs out. I might be able to find an odd bale at a farm store- maybe - but I can't load and unload more than that.

And I'm already missing my goat milk. I bought the first half gallon of store bought stuff the other day. I made sure to get whole milk so the difference wouldn't be as noticeable but...no. 

Last Spring we had our rickety old pine trees cut down for safety reasons. But we didn't have a backup plan for the shade we lost over the chicken coop and rabbit hutches. Then we lost an old buck rabbit and I'm afraid the heat might have played a part in it. So now I'm rigging up tarps and trying to protect the rabbits and chickens from heat sicknesses.

I don't know why God worked things out like this but I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a single homesteader. Maybe I need to have a better elder care plan. Maybe I'm trying to do more than God wants me to do. Maybe I'm not doing enough and I need to try harder. There's lots for me to look at and try to improve! Some soul searching is going to have to be done.

In the meantime... I'm thankful for other things: My mom is finally back to her home! The doctor visits for my grandma are becoming less frequent. There is a good roof over my head and the air conditioning works! 

4 comments:

  1. You aren't the only one experiencing homesteading difficulties. It's been THAT year for me also. Lost all five goat kids before birth this year and spent lots of money to save the two mamas...only one made it. I won't recount all the other negative stuff that's happened, but let me tell you---it's been a most difficult year. My spring garden was just about a total bust. Something ate my entire asparagus patch. Millipedes invaded my raised beds. Husband accidentally sprayed AND KILLED one grape vine, a peach tree, some sugar cane, a fig tree and my whole patch of sweet potatoes. Yup, it's been one of those years. BUT, God is Good ALL THE TIME. He's my Comforter in the dark days and my Rejoicing in the Light. This, too, shall pass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's heartbreaking. Glad the one mama made it! I'm sure better things are just around the corner!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear your having such a rough year. Hang in there! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are just getting to the end of our first year on our smallholding and oh boy we have learned so much after setting up protection for the poultry with electric netting we hadnt given a thought to attacks from above and lost our chickens and two ducks to buzzards, then a hive of bees over winter but we are now back on an even keel and making the adjustment to rural living :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.