Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Morning Workout

Sore and tired, seems to be the catch phrase when people ask how I'm doing. Yesterday I spent an hour with a machete, hacking down Johnson Grass in the wanna be garden. Sure I could have just poured some chemicals on it and been done with it but that's just not how I roll. I've seen first hand what Monsanto's version of "safe" did to my Vietnam War veteran father. So as long as my muscles hold out, I'll hack down the weeds. And while I'm at it, I'll do everything else the hard way, too. I'm especially proud of my morning critter care routine. I don't know how I manage to make it so inefficient! For those who can't believe how time consuming critter care on a small property can be, here's the proof. 


All that to feed and water 4 goats, 8 chickens, 3 guineas, and 12 rabbits. Oh my.

8 comments:

  1. My step father (The first one when I was a teenager not the second one) died of those chemical agents when he was only 35 years old.

    Johnson Grass is a spawn of Devil along with Morning Glory. I think if I catch any of my neighbors planting Morning Glory or Johnson Grass I would lynch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for your loss. My dad made it to 33. I still can't wrap my mind around the senselessness of it.
      Do people plant Johnson Grass??? Get out!

      Delete
  2. I hear you with the chemicals. We use all kinds of other routes- white vinegar, cutting, covering with cardboard and rocks. Much less toxic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call myself machete girl and look for excuses to use mine. How clever we are to get these top notch work outs in the course of our "work" day eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wonder why someone would pay to use a gym...

      Delete
  4. It doesn't bother me to pull the weeds. I usually feed them to my hens. If they are nasty, I spray vinegar on it. Cheaper and safer than the chemicals sold in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe people even think of using Roundup. When I spray weeds it's a mixture vinegar and salt. I know my kids won't be affected if they walk on it. The yard smells funny for awhile though!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.