Monday, May 4, 2015

Selling Goats

 I listed two of our triplets for sale on a local Facebook livestock page. I'm a total newbie at selling an animal and I have very mixed feelings about it. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I think it's going to take some time.

 So, I'm hopeful to have a response soon. But wondering also... how will this transaction go. Will I be able to answer all the questions? Will I feel like I've done an inferior job of getting the goats ready to sell. Will a buyer scorn my asking price, or worse yet,  grab up what they think is a steal? ERG! So many ways I could be doing this right...or wrong!

 This is my learning experience for this week. On the plus side- we will have less mouths to feed, less poop to scoop, and a little extra dough to spend on feed for the one we keep (next year's freezer stock.) The only negative consequence will be if the actual transaction doesn't go well. Let's hope that doesn't happen!

goats for sale

7 comments:

  1. Whenever I am selling some of our sheep off I always tell anyone with an Arabic accent the animals are already sold. I do not like the way they treat the poor sheep and I don't want to be a party to it either. Just my rule of selling my stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Preppy. Having an animal get its throat cut really bothers me. These people have no respect for animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the sale. We just recently sold our goats and one horse and were super lucky in that both went to someone we already knew. LAST year the selling of goats was lame because out of 40 people who would say they were interested, 20 get back to you, 5 say they are coming to look, one shows up, and then they haggle about price. UGH. I really hope it goes better for you! Hopefully that perfect new owner is just a FB response away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this short time it's already been an eye-opener! l'm not sure how someone could read the post and then ask the exact same info that was posted? Three times in the comments I've had to reply with the price and my location!?! Someone even had me figure the distance for them? Not sure why they didn't check it out for themselves!?!

      Delete
  4. Good Luck! I'll be interested to see how it goes and what you can pass on to the rest of us as a lesson learned. If it goes a bit less well than you hoped you will be in the same place I often find myself" Smarter, but happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuttin' better than lessons learned second hand! I think we'll both be smarter after this.

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.