Monday, May 18, 2015

Selling Goats- lessons learned

So I mentioned a while back that I had placed our extra goat kids for sale on a Facebook livestock page. I thought it would be a good way to get the word out to local people. It was surely an eye-opening experience and I learned a lot.

For starters, the kids I was selling were just weaned. Just weaned kids usually sell cheaper because the buyer will be investing in the feed to grow out the kid. I knew that so I priced them accordingly. And since they were unregistered mixed breed goats I lowered the price some more. And I included a twofer deal if both kids were purchased at the same time. I wanted these goats gone!

People started inquiring within hours of my placing the ad- The ad which gave the birth date, breed info, location, price, and 2 pictures. The first few inquiries were about my location. I guess the name of the town in the ad was written in disappearing ink? After I retold them where I was, they all decided it was too far.

Then I got a couple men asking if they could come to my home and check out the kids. I went to their Facebook profiles and got a little creeped out about meeting them at my place alone. OK a LOT creeped out. So after some discussion with DH the decision was made to take the goats to auction. My carrier will only hold one kid at a time so the first one went last week and the other will go next. The first one brought less than my asking price in the Facebook ad but more than I anticipated getting at auction so I'm happy with that.

And that is how we will handle any future extras when DH is out of town. We have sold a bottle baby there before and know that bottle babies bring more than a small kid will so that will be our plan for the next babies born here.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't have creepy guys come to your place and glad you got some $$ for the goat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! The more I think about being alone and having a stranger here, the more insecure I feel. I've always met sellers in public places so I wasn't prepared for that request. I mean, they could leave here and tell everyone about my stock of dandelion jelly. Yikes!

      Delete
  2. You did the same thing I did 3 years ago. When callers wanted to come look at them and my hubby was on 6 days a week so it would be me by myself I decided to take them to auction. The nearest goat auction is an hour away but it turned out to be fun and thats what I have done every year since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did the same thing I did 3 years ago. When callers wanted to come look at them and my hubby was on 6 days a week so it would be me by myself I decided to take them to auction. The nearest goat auction is an hour away but it turned out to be fun and thats what I have done every year since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happens to us when we place ads on Craigslist- immediately people start responding, asking questions that were all answered in the ad itself (the price, location, breed of animal.. all the basics we described!). We almost always agree to meet buyers in town, unless it's a large animal like a cow. :) We're much more comfortable with that (and I agree- I would never have potential buyers here when Husband is not!)
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoosier Girl - You did make the right choice! And I was wondering how the goat selling was working out. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.