Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Think Small

I ran into a former coworker the other day in town, Since my retirement we hadn't seen each other in person, only on Facebook. So we did the quick hug-how-are-you thing and then she asked me, "how are things on the ranch?" I literally lol'd! I know she had been to my home before and so she must have remembered I'm on one tiny acre. But all those Facebook posts about livestock and gardening and milk and eggs and canning and so on and so on. It would be easy to get swept up in the details of everything I share and envision all the grandiose space it would take to do all that!

But here I am on my little place, milking a goat and growing veggies and trying to give eggs away. In reality a huge farm or ranch isn't necessary to provide a lot of the daily needs for a family. Sure there are some challenges- storage space for hay and supplies, the higher cost for smaller equipment, finding a place for poop, etc... But I'm not sure having more space would make them easier, the challenges would more likely just be- different.

If you're thinking about homesteading or getting back to basics but the lack of space is holding you back, try starting small! Don't wait for land before you start living your dream. Every LITTLE thing can make a difference!


7 comments:

  1. Amen sister. I'm looking at our 3 fruit trees we planted, and berries and they're loaded with organic fruit (hopefully!) to harvest. And we're on a standard city lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! There's so much stuff to do in a little spot!

      Delete
  2. The only reason you really need acreage is if you are growing all the stuff for your livestock really. Otherwise an acre or two is enough. Now if you wanted to produce all the hay for even a few small ruminants well that's when ya need more space. Add in grain and it get's big fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only does it get big fast, it needs more equipment and manpower. I'm happy to buy what I can't produce and support the local small farmer!

      Delete
  3. I agree with ya sister! There are so many people wishing they had more land to do stuff, and there are so many things you can do NOW if you just get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the saying- "bloom where you're planted!"

      Delete
  4. Wow! I didn't realize, with all you have going on, you're doing it all on an acre. We have two and will inherit more more one day, but have a ways to go until we have going on 2 what you have on 1. I'll be able to pick up the pace after retirement in 4 years. I have a 45 minute commute each way and work 9 - 10 hour days. Until then its a bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.