Sunday, March 22, 2015

On to Spring!

Spring has brought so many things already! Here's a few-

1. A workshop at the local junior college on clay/ceramics. It was given by an artist who had his work on display there. The processes he demonstrated were way over my head but my desire to learn about clay and pottery was rekindled.

2. A walking challenge. Some of my family and I are trying to collectively log 1000 walking miles between the first day of spring and the first day of winter. I think the extra exercise will go a long way in helping me stay mentally focused and happy. (I'll go a long way anyway!)

3. A sinus infection. Ok that's not so great but I deal with them so often that I can shrug my shoulders at them. This particular one is painful but my DH stopped by on his way from St. Louis to Cincinnati with a rose and some Gatorade AND he fixed my goat gate. Woot!! I promised him I would put a picture on here but that will be a post for another day.

4. Milk! I'm swimming in it! In the last 10 days of milking our little unknown breed of a backyard goat I've made 2 quarts of yogurt and 1 gallon's worth of queso blanco. I've also given the chickens the 2 quarts that a dirty hoof went into and there's still 3 pints in the fridge.

5. Eggs! Everybody is back to laying. We reduced the number of hens in our flock to 8. Now we're getting 4-6 eggs per day. Still too many for just 2 people but we give the excess to some less fortunate folks and truly enjoy the backyard chicken entertainment.

6. Buds and blooms. The lilac bushes have buds on them and the daffodils are in full bloom. Beautiful color is returning!

All of this good stuff has truly lifted my spirits. No more winter blahs!


1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the sinus infection. Found out today the cough I've been fighting for months is pertussis. I'm not contagious anymore, and have about 6 weeks to go to get (mostly) rid of it.

    I am looking forward to having goats. They are 4 or 5 more years down the line, but I follow several folks who have them and get a bit jealous with news of kids and milk and all.

    Our girls are back to laying too. Out of 12 active layers we get between 8 and 12 eggs a day. We use a lot and are able to sell some. In a good month, we can pay for most of their food.

    No bud's here yet. In fact we got a late blast of 3 or 4 inches of snow today! :-(

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.