Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Small Changes

Mmmm, my breakfast this morning....I wish you had been here to share some of the goodness with me.  I fried up a slice of ham and 2 large eggs (over medium) and put them on a plate with a piping hot biscuit, some cinnamon apple sauce, and a steaming dollop of grits. Oooohhhweeeee!

 At first glance of all that goodness on a plate, I felt a little stab of disappointment (I know right?) That slice of ham didn't grow up here, I got it at the grocery. And the biscuit wasn't homemade, it came out of a can that I got at the grocery. The grits? I'm never, ever going to be able to grow that kind of grain. I felt kind of silly pouting over my lack of  a pure "homesteady" meal.

 So I gave myself a quick kick in the pants and forced myself to reevaluate my breakfast. Five years ago the thought of owning chickens was just a little idea in the back of my mind. But today I had fresh eggs that I'd plucked out of the nesting box myself. On top of those fried eggs was a good dash of  pepper sauce that I'd fermented myself- from peppers that I'd grown myself. Our apples didn't survive last spring's frost so I'd made the applesauce from local orchard apples myself. That's something I'd been getting off the grocery store shelf forever before. Sure, my biscuits came out of a can (THIS time) but I'd saved the money spent on them instead of just tossing them. And the second one I sneaked got a spoonful of homemade blackberry jam made from blackberries I picked in my own back yard.

 So there. My sustainable ideals ARE getting more obtainable all the time. I'll never get to perfect but I'm going to start celebrating my small accomplishments more!  Woo Hoo! I'm a happy-and very full- Hoosier Girl!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great - really. Having grown wheat in 15 acre farm fields growing up, I can say that planting a small scale crop would be doable, but harvesting might be hard. Almost all harvesting equipment, even the 60s era stuff, is big and requires lots of maintenance. Harvesting a years' supply, or even a winter's supply using a scythe and cradle with hand gleaning would be very labor intensive.

    Pigs, like your goats, are pretty good at challenging fences and are far less amusing while they are it. You're making good progress and, if it helps :-) , are still a good bit ahead of us on the journey. Savor your successes, draw confidence from your experiences, and take it one step a a time!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.