Friday, February 6, 2015

Grits and Granola

First the grits
 What do you do with them? I mean after the first meal when they're all warm and gritty and soaking up egg yolk? The leftover grits? And why can't I make just one serving? The box says I'm making one serving but believe me, it looks like just the same amount as two servings! I don't get it... but I'll have happy grit-eating chickens when I finally get around to taking the cold pan out of the fridge where I've been storing it.

 And granola
 It's a great day for making granola. Is there a bad day? My house smells like cinnamon and vanilla and toasted oats and almonds. Mmm. I don't have to worry about leftover granola (sorry chickens!)  I'll share the recipe I use in case you want to make your own home smell soooo good:

GRANOLA
Preheat oven to 300* and adjust racks to middle.

In large bowl combine
6 Cups Oats (I use quick oats because that's what Sam's Club sells in bulk)
6 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon salt

On low heat combine until just melted
1/2 Cup coconut oil
1/2 to 2/3 Cup honey (I use the lesser amount if I'm adding sweetened fruit)
1 Tablespoon vanilla

Stir liquid into oat mixture thoroughly. Divide between 2 cookie sheets and spread evenly. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir oat mixture and add in 1/2 Cup nuts and seeds of choice (I like sliced almonds) and 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed per each cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes longer (light, golden, toasty brown.) Let cool for about 20 minutes and then break apart. Granola will harden as it cools. Stir in small dice dried fruit if desired. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. De makes a great granola bar, too. Every batch is just a little different and there's never been bad one.

    I enjoyed grits at most of the places I was stationed when I was in the Corps year ago. At least then it was a breakfast staple. My NE Indiana family never developed a taste so I'm left to ordering from places like IHOP and Cracker Barrel on those rare occasions we're eating out for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grits do seem to be more of a Southern staple. I've got just enough Dixie in me to need them!

      Delete
  2. Have you ever made polenta? It's divine! Look up some recipes and you could try using those, if they're the right consistency...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll hunt up some recipes.

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.