Thursday, November 13, 2014

Wether or Not

It was a balmy 32 degrees when I woke up yesterday morning. I know it has to be colder today but I don't want to look at the thermometer- it will make me want to crawl back into my nice warm bed!

Where did fall go?? I thought I would have more time to work on goat management but once again I find myself playing catch up. Right now Moose is still running with the ladies and they all snuggle up together on the cold nights. But soon I will have to move him into his own quarters and I'm worried about his little pygmy body in that drafty buck shed. He's going to need a companion.

My thoughts were to get a Nigerian Dwarf buck to get more dairy genes into our kids next generation. But just the smell of one buck in rut has changed my mind. Our little space just can't handle that much "perfume." So now I've decided to get him a little wether buddy- one with no name that we can send off to freezer camp next spring if our does have successful kiddings.

Unfortunately, one trip to the auction has opened my eyes to how much that little investment is going to cost me. All the wether goats were going for over $100. Yikes. Of course they were all nicely filled out- last spring's babies. So now I'm scouring Craig's List and online livestock sales looking for a wether. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I feel for you. It stinks soooo badly out here. Three, yes three bucks here. Hopefully one is leaving this weekend and another is going back "home" in a few weeks (we borrowed him). $100 for a companion animal seems excessive....I hope you can find a cheaper buddy for your buck.


Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.