Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Living on the Edge Today

 While DS#1 was here on leave, I kept stocked up on milk. I am not a milk drinker. DH does drink milk but he left for New York the day before DS#1 left. They left me with an unopened half gallon of milk sitting in my fridge.

 Today DH is coming home! So I decided to make one of his favorite meals for dinner- beans and cornbread. Pinto beans are his most favorite and those are bubbling away in the slow cooker as I type. And the cornbread was made from the extra special stone ground meal that I drive 3 hours round trip every year to stock up. I like to bake the cornbread in the morning to give the house time to cool back down before the heat of the day. But maybe early morning baking isn't a good idea for me....

 After I got done with the morning chores, I came in to have my second cup of coffee (the one I relax over.) But when I reached for the cream in the fridge, I noticed the expiration date on the milk- the milk I had put in the cornbread. June. 26. EEEP! This is JULY. My milk is a month too old!! Ok, calm down Hoosier Girl. It's really only 7 LONG DAYS past the "best if used by" date.

 I pulled the milk out and gave it the "I'm a mom, and all moms know if the milk is bad by smelling it" sniff test. No nose hairs died in that experiment. So I cautiously took a sip (right out of the jug 'cause that milk isn't going to be used for anything else!) Well, my stomach didn't turn any more than if I had swallowed fresh milk (or watched someone else drinking out of the jug of fresh milk, ahem.) Sooo...

 I'm calling it safe. The milk company may beg to differ. And they may be right. Time will tell...




3 comments:

  1. There have been studies done on TONS of food products, seeing if they are still "good" after the "Best By" or "Sell By" date......and they are usually still perfectly good. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but those dates are to get you to use up or throw out perfectly good food quicker so you can go buy more. Although, it doesn't hurt to do the "sniff test" :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.