Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flies!

Gah! They're everywhere. Goats, rabbits, poultry, and Hoosier Girls are in misery with the swarm of flies in my backyard.

I've tried being extra diligent with poop clean-up but since we're on such a small space it doesn't have far to go. The pile of manure NEXT to the goat pen/chicken coop is not much better than when it was spread out IN those places.

Next up in my arsenal was permethrin. As much as I hate to use chemicals, I really felt like I had no other options. I'd broken down and used it once before on my buckling, in 2010, but this time was a little different. This time I was trying to spray goats who aren't used to being handled- what a rodeo! When the chemical cloud finally settled, the goats were still miserable with flies. I, on the other hand, shouldn't have to worry about lice or scabies on me for years to come.

I guess it's time for Plan C- bait and kill. Yesterday I mowed off all the clover to discourage the swarms of honey bees that have been feasting in my yard from hanging around. I'm hoping they will move on to safer pastures while I spend some time looking for products to get rid of these flies. And I'll scoop some more poop and hope the flies will decide to move on. Then I'll make myself do what I have to do.

Of course, I'm open to other options and suggestions....
 

2 comments:

  1. The flies have been terrible here as well. I been going through four sticky strips a day int he house alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Rescue-Disposable-Attractant-Insecticide/dp/B008B36J44/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405122758&sr=8-3&keywords=fly+trap

    Try these they work GREAT

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.