Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Best Part of Waking Up

is the smell of fresh coffee wafting up the stairs!
 Unfortunately the last two mornings I have been rudely jerked out of my soft slumber by the strong, pungent smell of a skunk. UGH!!! It's a lingering odor that is still in my yard when I go out for morning chores, sometimes an hour after I've woke up. Of course I could do without the inconvenience of the smell, but even more worrisome is the fact that a predator is hanging around my rabbits and chickens.
 My animals are locked up but a predator (possibly a skunk, it left a strong odor) has gotten into my rabbit cages before- by going through the feeder opening. Since then, we've switched to feeders that hang inside the cage and eliminated the hole there. And a few weeks ago, I discovered a possum inside the chicken coop. It killed my two just-hatched chicks and one of the pullets before I found it. The possum was dispatched but I've not figured out a way to make the coop more predator proof. The only way I could figure the possum got in was through the little door- in broad daylight! The rabbit cages and chicken coop are inside a fence but there are gaps around the gate that a small predator can get through and some branches of a pine tree outside the fence hang over the inside. Soooo we aren't 100% tight. And I'm 100% worried.
 This morning as I was walking out the door, heading to church, I heard the most awful screeching coming from the chicken coop. The automatic door hadn't opened yet so my mind was picturing all my birds locked up with a chicken-killing skunk. My heart was in my throat as I took off running for the coop. My purse went flying across the yard and I ripped my skirt on the gate as I raced to save my flock from the evil skunk! Before I opened the people door, I grabbed a shovel to kill the monster and peeked in the window to locate my enemy and make a plan of action. What I saw was... all the birds were clucking and flapping, lined up waiting for their door to open- except one. That one was doing a dance like I remember learning in middle school, strutting, and trying his best to break the glass with his high-pitched shrieks  crow. Just crow.
 So, I put the shovel up, retrieved my purse, went back inside to change my skirt, and made it to church with 2 minutes to spare.
 I guess as soon as the farm store opens, I will be buying a trap. Meantime, I'm sporting earplugs til that rooster learns his do re mi's!

2 comments:

  1. I have found that skunks do not like lead in fact it makes them deathly ill. I am not brave enough to hit one with a shovel, bad things can happen just after the first smack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most certainly correct! Lucky for me, there wasn't one in there. My good sense deserted me!

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.