Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fixing an Oops

I tried to make my favorite cinnamon coffee cream this morning. I was out of sweetened condensed milk so I substituted evaporated milk and granulated sugar. It turned out awful- sweet enough, cinnamon-y enough, but too thin to be called cream. It barely lightened the coffee at all. Yuck.

Not wanting to waste it, I decided to experiment. I dumped some of it back into a saucepan, heated it to a simmer, and dumped some old fashioned oats into it. Then I turned the heat off and put a tight lid on it. I left it on the stove while I went out to do the morning feeding. I figured if it didn't turn out edible, at least I could feed it to the chickens for a treat sometime.

But when I came back in 20 minutes or so later, I had an awesome bowl of creamy, cinnamon-y oatmeal. It was the perfect warm-me-up-quick breakfast. The best part was- I didn't have to rummage around for seasonings or toppings, it went straight from pan to bowl! And I think there was enough left to have this for breakfast for 2 (maybe 3) more days!  I love it when I don't have to come up with a meal at the last minute. And since I don't have to add more ingredients, clean up is a breeze. It's like instant oatmeal without the "instant" taste (blech) or unwanted extra ingredients....Yay!




4 comments:

  1. Good! I've also put in a diced apple. "Table cream" is at Walmart, etc.and is a canned cream. Works pretty well, and is best used chilled. It's made by Nestle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO YUMMY. How much milk/sugar/cinnamon/oatmeal??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's my best guess (I didn't measure anything) Boil 2 cinnamon sticks in 2 cups water for a few minutes. Remove cinnamon and add 1/3 cup sugar. Stir in 1 can evaporated milk. That makes your runny cream. Use in place of water per oatmeal directions but don't boil it.

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.