Sunday, September 15, 2013

Last of the Apples!

I feel like doing a victory dance! I've used up all the apples from the last picking! Woo Hoo! If I see another apple before next year, I may revolt! Of course there are still some in the trees and on the ground-but I am NOT picking them up and bringing them in the house. Those will be special treats for the goats, rabbits, and chickens.

 In the freezer I have several quarts of applesauce and some sliced, sugared apples for pie filling and crisp. I also canned a few quarts of apple juice.
 And today I started another batch of apple cider vinegar. I'm kind of excited about that. It was so easy to do, just throw the apple scraps (peels and cores) into some jars, cover with water, and let nature take its course.

 I've used store bought ACV to make pepper jelly, salad dressings, marinades, etc... oh, and as a hair rinse. But I've never bought the expensive "good stuff" with the mother in it. Now I've got some-RAW, ORGANIC. and FREE!

 I asked on the Homesteading Today forums about using this stuff but didn't get much response. So, before I spend hours googling all the different ways to use ACV and searching for health benefits, does anyone want to chime in on how you use it or benefit from it? I'm all ears! Comments please!

6 comments:

  1. The only negative that I have heard is that the acid level might not be high enough for canning purposes but I don't know how to test it. There should be a way, probably some meter or test strip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got my curiosity up! So far in my internet wanderings, I'm being directed to wine making sites. We will see where that leads me! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I'd be interested in making homemade ACV also, so I hope some others can give us both advice. I usually just make an apple cider jelly out of the peels & cores, but ACV would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try the jelly next year. Right now I have an overload of blackberry jam. And I don't want to peel anymore %^&* apples!

      Delete
  3. I put 2 TBL in our chicken's 1 gallon waterer, good for their digestion and hard shells. I use Bronner's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering about livestock! Thanks for that!

      Delete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.