Monday, September 9, 2013

Grumpy Apple Cobbler

We had a small cook-out for Labor Day, nothing fancy, just us and some of our kids. My DH is one of those guys who likes to grill. No, scratch that, he loves to grill. A LOT. So anytime there's a chance of people visiting he gets out the charcoal- rain or shine. I've even seen him smoke a brisket with snow on the ground. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the meats and veggies he grills up and he really does think he's being helpful by taking over some of the cooking chores, but cook-outs are a lot of work!

For this particular gathering, we decided to keep it simple- DH would cook a small goat roast and some sliced pork loin (not all of our kids enjoy homegrown meat and that's ok.) I devilled some eggs and fixed some pinto beans. We had a nice big bowl of applesauce that hadn't made it to the freezer yet. All that we were lacking was a dessert. I made the mistake of asking DH what he would like. In my mind we were still on the same page- simple. I can't read my DH's mind-thank goodness!-but somehow he had left simple and wandered on over to who knows where? He looked at the bucket full of (tiny) apples we had left and declared, "apple cobbler." I don't know if you remember from yesterday's applesauce post but I loathe peeling apples-do not like it at all. And DH wouldn't have time to do it this time. But his mind was made up, I tried reminding him that he also liked blackberry cobbler. Nope. Nuh-uh. Apple cobbler it would be.

Now we've reached the part of the story where I have to confess- I got grumpy. I KNOW it's hard to believe! But my DH was leaving the next day so of course I was going to do whatever he wanted to make him happy because I'm a perfect wife and who cares about a poor little Hoosier Girl peeling all those itty bitty apples and getting blisters on her fingers and sore feet....grumpy...soooo grumpy that the apple bucket got set down a little too hard, drawers got slammed, things got muttered under MY breath, and a few dirty looks got aimed at my DH's back. After about a half hour of all that, most of the apples were peeled and DH had taken refuge in the backyard with the grill. Even the dogs slunk off to parts unknown. And I was left to muddle in my shame alone. Sigh.

Anyway, the cobbler got done. The food was all good. the kids played some catch and then we had a good time around the coffee table with coffee and a board game. It was a great day-after I got over my bad attitude!
A serious game of catch!












And here's my favorite apple cobbler recipe:
Ingredients
Pie Crust-enough for top and bottom of 9x13 pan ( I triple the recipe for a 9 inch pie crust)
5 to 6 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line pan with 1/2 of the pastry leaving a 1 inch overhang. Blend sugar and flour. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of this mixture over bottom crust. Stir the rest into the apples. Turn apple mixture into pan. Pour water all over the fruit. Dot with butter and sprinkle the cinnamon all over the top. Cut steam vents into remaining pastry and place over top. Sprinkle top crust with a little sugar if desired. Bring up overhanging crust. Bake about 20 minutes or until pastry starts to brown, then reduce heat to 350 and continue baking until fruit is tender and juice oozes up through the vents. Cool on rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.