Monday, February 11, 2013

Sick and Tired

 I woke up with an incredibly stiff and sore neck 8 days ago. It was so bad that turning my head in the car to check for traffic brought me to tears. So when DH asked me to come and stay a day or two with him in St. Louis, I had to think twice before I accepted. It's only a three hour drive but I loaded up on ibuprofen before I left the driveway.
 By the time I arrived my neck was feeling better. But I was starting to experience a burning sensation in my chest every time I took a breath. Not bad, just uncomfortable. The next morning, when I woke up, I knew I was in trouble- fever, chills, headache, earache, sore throat, cough- and I was away from home. I was way too sick to drive back home. So, I spent that day and the next in a motel room alternating between freezing and burning up. By day three, I found an urgent care clinic and got some antibiotics. I got back to the motel as fast as I could and spent another three days in bed, popping pills and chugging bottled water. I'm so blessed to have a very flexible critter sitter!
 It was a very unusual sickness for me, not the actual infections-I get those a lot, but being around my DH while I was sick was different. I'm very much used to facing illness all by myself. It's not uncommon for me to just keep plugging along until I end up dragging myself to the E.R. to get fluids for dehydration and I.V. antibiotics. I can't remember how many times that has happened. So it was really to cool to be with a guy who had my back! Even though I was in a strange place, he did so many things to make me comfortable- brewing tea, rubbing my back, fetching water, making me rest... I think I could get used to being pampered! Yesterday he had a rare day off of work so he took me to lunch and then an antique mall and walked me around, helping me get some strength back and stretch my legs.
 So now I'm feeling a lot better-not good as new but ready to get there! Today I'm going to catch up on some blog reading and give thanks for a DH who takes care of me!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is some nasty stuff that attacked you! I am glad you are with your husband and starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man.... That sounds miserable :( So very sorry, but I'm happy you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.