Saturday, December 8, 2012

Souper Saturday 8

Coming up with a soup themed blog post every Saturday sure has made weekend meal planning easier. It's funny how now I'm thinking about soup all week long-seeing soup ideas in everyday tasks even! For example, yesterday I was thinking "I really need to decide what kind of soup I'm going to make tomorrow" while I was removing the fall pumpkin from my front porch. (It just wasn't blending in too well with the Christmas decor.) That led me to remembering how my grandma would roast pumpkins in her oven to use in pies and such. Which got me to thinking about all the recipes I've seen online for pumpkin soup-which I have never made or eaten. And I was curious. I have to confess that cooking anything new intimidates me. But I'm home alone-who's going to know if I mess this up? I'm going for it!
 (By the way- my chickens have been patiently waiting since October for that porch pumpkin. So they got their treat today!)
 As I sorted through a ton of recipes for pumpkin soup I was amazed at how many differences of opinion there were. Thicken it or loosen it? Cinnamon or nutmeg? I just got a basic idea of how I wanted to try my hand at it, and came up with this:

Pumpkin Soup 
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup finely diced onion
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon flour
1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 Cup boiling water
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1-2 teaspoons salt
15 oz can solid pumpkin
12 oz can evaporated milk
Assembly:
In saucepan cook onions in butter until tender.
Remove from heat and blend in flour until smooth.
Add in broth, spices, and pumpkin. Stirring constantly (mixture will be thick and will scorch easily,) bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Slowly stir in evaporated milk. Remove from heat and serve.

Ta Da! Pumpkin Soup in my favorite chipped bowl with hastily jotted ingredients.
 DELICIOUS!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! And it's such a perfect day to have soup today, as we woke up to a lot of snow! :)

    And isn't it great when blog posts actually make your life easier! Yay for soups on saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the pumpkin I froze and canned lately this will be a perfect and easy soup to make for dinner tonight! Thanks
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I love pumpkin, but have never tried it in soup form... Will have to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.