Saturday, December 1, 2012

Souper Saturday 7

 It's a nice warm day today!  So I'm fixing a crock pot recipe. Who wants to spend money heating up an already warm home?
 I'm thankful though, that DH was able to get all of the critter watering systems rigged up for winter. There were a few days when I had to crack the ice in the water buckets before he had the chance to do it (I've had frostbite a couple of times in the past so he knows how much it means to me to be warm and dry!)  He also set up some heated water bottles for the rabbits, which means we are wintering them instead of buying new stock in the spring. That would be great (really!) if they were proving to be good breeders, but so far-zilch, zero, nada. They had since early spring to go through ALL of the excuses-too young, too stressed, too hot, bad hair day.....The last breed date was November 1 so if we don't have a kindling soon, we might be searching for new stock anyway. It's tough to spend money on feed with no return!
 I have one rabbit left in the freezer from the last bunch so today I will make Rabbit Stew. Since it was an older rabbit, the best way to cook it is SLOWLY! This is a new-to-me dish so I'm learning as I go. I don't have exact measurements and times-but it turns out yummy so give it a try!

Rabbit Stew
Place 1 rabbit in crock pot with just enough water to cover the bottom. Sprinkle liberally with red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Add 2 large peeled and chunked potatoes and 2 large peeled and chunked carrots. Sprinkle all with a good dash of seasoned salt. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. When rabbit is done, remove all the ingredients from the broth. Cool and remove bones-check carefully as  some are little, and chunk up the rabbit meat. Put meat, veggies, and broth into a pan. Heat to boiling (add more water or some chicken broth if needed.)  Stir together 2 heaping Tablespoons of corn starch with 1 cup of water and stir into broth. Return to boil for a minute to thicken. Place one serving into a separate bowl before you holler "come and get it" or you might not get any!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE stew! Haven't made rabbit stew yet though, the last ones we had were just fried up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly
    Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-13.html
    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.