Saturday, October 13, 2012

Something New-Souper Saturday

 I spent part of the day yesterday picking up leaves and feeding them to the goats. It got me out of the house while a crew was putting in our new furnace. But I noticed there were way more leaves than I would ever be able to pick up one-by-one. Yep, fall is here!
 My favorite thing to cook in the fall is soup. I don't make it much anymore. A pot of soup goes a long way for one person. But when I know the kids are coming over or DH will be here, I like to have a soup or stew simmering on the stovetop.
 And I thought it would be fun to share my soup recipes with you. So let's do Souper Saturday! Every Saturday I will post a recipe and I'd like for you to share yours also, please!
 I'll start it off with one of my favorites-caution: this makes a very large pot of soup, but can be reduced easily.

Clean Out the Fridge Soup
In soup pot, start off with leftover chicken or ham broth (4 or 5 cups.) Each time you add veggies, check to see if you need to add liquid. Bring to a low boil.
In the first 20 minutes of cooking add your longer cooking veggies such as-peeled cubed potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, bell pepper. (4-5 cups altogether)
In the next 15 minutes add your other veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, cubed squash.(again 4-5 cups)
During the last 10 minutes reduce heat and stir in 1-2 pounds of cubed velveeta cheese, one pound of (chopped or shredded) cooked chicken or ham, and then add some milk, half and half, evaporated milk etc... to your taste. Simmer until cheese is melted and soup is warm.
There you have an awesome soup and all the veggies that were wilting in the fridge (and that leftover Sunday ham or chicken) have been removed. Not to mention you just got rid of all the milk that was about to expire!

1 comment:

  1. We're into soups around here too. SM wanted a classic chicken noodle last week (It's gone already), but I hear ya on the "everything in the fridge soup." Easy to make a great tasting soup.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.