Monday, October 8, 2012

Chow Chow Recipe

 Before I lived in the west, I had never heard of Chow Chow the food. I had only heard of Chow Chow the dog breed. So I was a wary the first time I was offered a sample. But after that first try my family was hooked on it as a compliment to bean dishes. I usually make it in the fall when we clean out the garden but last year slipped away without the chance to do that. So I think it will be warmly welcomed this year. Here is the recipe I sorta follow-I don't remember where I got it.

 Chow Chow
1 Quart chopped cabbage
1 Quart chopped green tomatoes
3 or 4 chopped green bell peppers (depending on size)
2 large chopped onions
1 chopped jalapeno pepper OPTIONAL (I don't add the jalapeno)
1/4 Cup salt
1 1/2 Cups white vinegar
1 1/2 Cups water
2 Cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon each dry mustard, turmeric, and celery seed

Mix chopped vegetables with salt and let stand overnight. Next morning drain and squeeze as much liquid as possible from vegetable mixture. Boil remaining ingredients 5 minutes. Add vegetables and bring to a boil. Pour into sterilized jars within 1/2 inch of top. Put on cap. Process in hot water bath for 5 minutes. This supposedly yields around 6 pints. I've found it to vary each time-sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. I guess that's what happens when you SORTA follow a recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I actually have ALL the ingredients for this recipe so I won't even have to cheat on No Spend October and run to the grocery store. Well, maybe for that garlic I needed for another recipe.

    Do you serve it warm or cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CR! I serve it room temperature the first use, then straight from the fridge after that. We use it a relish for hot bean dishes so it warms up pretty quickly that way. I hope you enjoy it!

    (Wish I had the will power to try a No Spend month!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you serve the chow chow with? How do you use it? I've always wanted to make it, but don't know what I'd do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.