Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Got Milk?

I have never milked a goat before, or a cow for that matter. My 3rd grade class visited a dairy farm once, and I watched them hook the milking machines up. I guess that counts, right? I mean I payed attention and was quiet-that was the stipulation to get the free ice cream bar after the presentation. So technically I already knew how to do it-(read with tongue in cheek.) Needless to say, I was very nervous! But I decided to just bite the bullet and give it a try. Start slow-no aiming, or bucket, or cleaning the goat, or crying. Just learn the motion of milking.
pardon me ma'am, I need to see your teat
 So I got Ronnie on the stand-easy enough, we'd been practicing that for a while. Then I secured her head in the "head holder" (is there a proper name for that?) Then I mentally recited the process as I petted her with one hand and took hold with the other. I have no way to compare her teat size to other goats as she is the first one I've ever handled but I think she is kind of small.



But I did get a hold and after a little squirming and kicking and swearing, I ended up with some milk! It was all over the place: on the stand, on Ronnie, on my jeans! And it was the most wonderful feeling of accomplishment! I was prouder than the day I got second place in the Spelling Bee in the 5th grade! Woo Hoo!
Got milk?
For tomorrow: How to clean a goat udder. I'm gonna go study right now and try it first thing in the morning. I think  prayers are in order!

3 comments:

  1. Love your post! The first time milking is always a mess. And sometimes, even when you are used to it, a spray goes off to nowhere out of the blue. :)

    Oh, the head holder is the head-gate or sometimes the stanchion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo-hoo! First milk will ALWAYS be remembered! In no time at all, you'll be milking like it's nothing!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.