Saturday, September 24, 2011

Challenging Myself

 This morning I got 4 yellow cake mixes made up and in the pantry. I would have done more but while I was bagging, my mind got to wandering and thinking about different flavors of cake mixes that I buy. So I decided to stop and do a little more research on homemade before I used up all my basic ingredients. After I got that mess cleaned up, I got to work on tonight's dinner. DH is headed home for the weekend (that's 2 weeks in a row-almost unheard of!) He loves beans and cornbread so I cooked beans yesterday and put them in the crockpot this morning. Then I pulled the last cornbread mix out of pantry. While I'm glad to see the last one go, I do wonder if I will cave in to the convenience factor in all these premade mixes. I really want to get away from all the processed stuff but I know it's going to take effort-ugh. So I am challenging myself to find motivators to make this work. The challenge I'm using for the last week of September is to call everything I make from a box or a can by its name with the first ingredient that I don't recognize added on. For instance, tonight at dinner you would hear me say, "please pass the cornbread with monocalcium phosphate." I mean if I'm going to put it in my body, I might as well call it what it is. Maybe the INconvenience of reading labels will be a good incentive to take the time to make it from scratch! (Wish me luck!)

3John 1:2  Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. 

5 comments:

  1. It's funny, I never thought of "pre-making" my cake mixes like you suggest. I do make scratch cakes, but I admit I have pre-made boxes of cake, cornbread and brownies in the cupboard. It's a hard habit to break. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from another gal living in the Hoosier state. Moved here from MI. Live near Valparaiso trying to "homestead" on a city lot! Keep up the good work of making your mixes!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say this is the best idea and something I would never have thought of. I just used up the last of my box cake mix just to get it out of the cabinet. And tomorrow I plan to make a whole shelf worth of premade cake mix. I looked at the ingredients on the back of the box....it's frightening.
    btw, in response to your comment, I live in east tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami- I think blogging is the best way to motivate myself. I put it in writing so I have to follow through!

    cozythyme-Hi! Great to meet you! I'm thinking Valparaiso is way up north?

    LNL-I have family in the Chattanooga area-beautiful country! And yes the mixes are frightening, I was way too lazy about reading labels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes make my own mixes and will then write in sharpie the rest of the recipe...when I am done with the bag, I just refill it with the mix ingredients (also write on with sharpie for convenience)...that way I always have mix on hand or a stack of bags to refill.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.