Monday, July 18, 2011

Reruns

 When my kiddos were young 'uns, "leftovers" was a word that would bring moans and groans. So I took to calling them "reruns." I never did figure out what made reruns better than leftovers. (Hey, these were the kids who complained about swiss cheese because it was holey until I told them to just leave the holes on the plate!)  I only knew to take whatever worked and run with it.
 Yesterday I made a huge pork butt roast (which the cashier at the store told me she would never eat because it said "butt" on the package!) with carrots and onions for Sunday lunch-gotta love a crock-pot meal on hot days like we're having. In the second crock-pot I fixed home grown green beans and new potatoes. It turned out to be a huge meal for myself and a small family of Sunday "comp'ny " And I had a LOT of leftovers. I froze a quart of the roast and now I'm working on a way to rework the rest of this food into this weeks meals. Tonight I had a busy day-3 trips to town- so I made a quick sandwich of bbq pulled pork. Tomorrow I will chop up the leftover veggies and some of the pork and combine it with the juice that cooked out of the roast. After I add a little thickenin' it will be a great pork stew. I can have that for Wednesday, too. On Thursday I will have some roast with canned black beans, fresh tomatoes and onions stuffed into a warm tortilla with some shredded monterey jack cheese. And on Friday I will use up the last of the roast with mashed potatoes and gravy. Phew-enough reruns for me. Anyone else recycle leftovers?

2 comments:

  1. One of my friends makes really good bean dip- throw some tomato and onion together in the food processor- add some corn and black beans- a bag of tortilla chips with which to dip, and try not to eat it all in one sitting! haha. Sounds like you're set for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds wonderful! I think my kids would really like your reruns. So would I. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.