Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cheating Chicken Salad

Chicken salad is my most favorite sandwich filling. The only thing I like better is peanut butter but that is a no/no on my low fat list. So I stick to chicken salad. I really can't get into the restaurant chicken salads with the grapes or cranberries or pecans and I haven't found a deli chicken salad that I like as good as homemade. And since it has been hotter than the dickens lately, no chickens have been cooked in my kitchen. But yesterday I was at the deli and I picked up something I DO like from there, rotisserie chicken. And now I have the perfect bird to make chicken salad. (How many times can I put the phrase "chicken salad" in a paragraph before it makes everyone else never ever want to eat chicken salad again???) And since I didn't actually cook the main ingredient, I call it cheating. Hence: Cheating Chicken Salad. Here is my recipe:
 1. Remove skin and bones from rotisserie chicken and place meat chunks in food processor. Pulse until chunks are broken up (not too much, you will be processing again.) At this point, you can freeze half of the chicken to use at a later date, just halve the rest of the ingredients. I use the whole chicken and eat it a lot for a few days (yum!)
 2. Add to food processor: Heaping Tablespoon of garlic powder, 3 Heaping Tablespoons of dill pickle relish(I used some of my homemade that came out runny, remember?), salt, and mayo(I like Kraft with Olive Oil) to taste.
 3. Pulse to mix. 
 All Done! Grab some whole grain bread or crackers, add a piece of fruit on the side and you've got a healthy lunch. No heat, no sweat, so easy it's got to be cheating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.