Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lessons Learned

I was thinking about my little "adventure" with the rabbit manure yesterday and I realized how much things have changed in the last few months. I mean, really, a year ago if someone had said, "You're going to spill nasty rabbit sludge all down the front of you, head to toe. And instead of running into your home sobbing, you're going to think to yourself, "since I'm already stinky, I might as well clean out the goat pen." I figure I would have laughed you off my property.
We never sat down and made a conscious decision to homestead. Instead, there was a big salmonella egg recall last year and it got me to wondering why I pay for supermarket eggs when I have a perfectly good place to raise my own? (and it was all downhill from there!) We bought a few chickens, DH built a coop, and voila-we are in business. Except in doing some online reading about raising chickens, I ran across some interesting info about rabbit raising. And away we went. I think everyone knows the story about my going to the auction to get rabbits and falling in love with a goat. And then the goat needed a buddy. As far as the garden goes, we have pretty much always had a "salad garden" but the way grocery prices are rising, we decided to expand our garden space and branch out into raising a bigger variety of veggies. And we have been learning a little everyday as we go. Lessons like:
Always shut the gate
Never put an egg in your pocket
Don't run out to feed in your nightie on trash day
Always measure twice
Never turn your back on the rooster
Don't count on sunshine
and Never let a goat help.
Although our time spent in this whole process has been really short, I can look back and see God's hand stretching us out little by little. I can't wait to see what He has in store for us!

4 comments:

  1. Love your list of "things learned"! Especially about the pocket omlette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned all those things from experience here too, except for the thing about the nightie and not letting a goat help. Those I'll learn about by observation. I don't plan to do either of those things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people who homestead come into it by accident. Your list of lessons learned brought me a smile when I desperately needed one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL....I've been busted in improper attire by the mail man, & can relate to the smooshed pocket egg....lol

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.