Friday, June 24, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Recipe

This recipe comes with some warnings:
 1. It makes a lot of rolls.
 2. The recipe is from a book that is so old that every bread recipe insists you sift the flour 3 times--before vegetable oil was available so shortening had to be melted.  I've adapted it because I don't really have time for sifting and melting. 
My version:
 Plain Roll Dough
Ingredients:
8-8 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 pkgs dry gran yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
2 cups milk (lukewarm)
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup veg. oil
Directions:
Measure flour and set aside.
Soften yeast in warm water with 1 tsp sugar for 10 minutes.
In 4 qt bowl combine warm milk, salt, and sugar.
Then add yeast mixture and eggs and stir thoroughly. Beat in 1/2 the flour until smooth, then the veg. oil. 
Reserve 2 Tbsp of flour and stir rest in. Mix thoroughly by hand. (Sometimes at this point I need to add more flour.) Turn out on board or pastry cloth sprinkled with reserved flour. Cover dough with bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
Then knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into ball, place in a greased bowl, turn once to bring greased side up. Cover with a damp cloth, let rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours. 
Punch down, turn dough over, cover and again let rise until double. 
At this point you have plain roll dough and could make a variety of rolls. 
For Cinnamon Rolls:
Separate dough into fourths. Turn each fourth out on lightly floured board or pastry cloth, shape into a ball, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll into an 8x14 inch rectangle. Brush with 2 Tbsp melted butter, sprinkle with mixture of 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. (You could also add 1/2 cup moist raisins if desired.) Roll up starting at wide end, pinching edge to seal. Cut into 1 inch lengths and place close together in a greased pan, cut side down. Brush with melted butter, cover, let rise in a warm place until about double (45ish minutes). Bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes. Yields 56 rolls. 


What I learned today: Given enough time watching the dogs, a goat can learn how to use a pet door. Uh Oh!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try to halve the recipe though it as I'm afraid that I'd eat the entire 56 rolls. Although, heak, if I'm going to eat twenty-eight, what's fifty-six? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using this recipe when I had 4 kids at home. They had to have something to go with the 4 gallons of milk we went through each week! Now I seldom make them but they do freeze well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I love that about the pet door. I can imagine what a goat could do to your house. They are so smart (and stubborn)! I just love them!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, what you know, what you want to know. I love your comments! I read them all and will try to answer any questions.