It's a day to do odds and ends but I'll be lucky if I just get the odds done!
I started out cleaning the chicken coop. What a chore! After several weeks of rain with a leaky roof and a dirt floor, it was a mess in there. The straw I had put down to soak up the wet was starting to sour and stink so it had to go! And to make it worse, a predator got in before I got it closed up last night. There was some yuck but not as bad as it could have been. This was our first loss to a predator. It got one of my Black Marans which will be harder to replace than any of the other breeds.Mentally, I tried to prepare myself for this possibility before we got the first bird but I still feel a sense of failure. Anyway, the automatic coop door opener motor arrived in the mail and DH promised to install it and put in a concrete floor next time he is home! YAY!
While working in the garden, I noticed the basil leaves are covered in black spots. I googled it to see what it means but couldn't find any reliable answers. I pinched back all the stems and am hoping for the best.
I got the rabbit cages cleaned out and new piles of fertilizer on the corn rows! Hope it does for the corn what it did for the potatoes-they are vining like crazy.
I've got a lot of invasive weeds to burn as soon as the weather permits but it was too windy today. Right now they are piled up by the burn barrels. I hope I can burn them before they take root.
I put a new book on my Kindle. It's called Living on an Acre, 2nd: A Practical Guide to the Self-Reliant Life.
I will let you know what I think after I get some of it read-if I ever get time!